OHSAA RULES for anything not covered.
1. Game time is forfeit time under normal circumstances. Please have your team warmed up and ready to play. Be ready to play 15 minutes before start time.
2. No infield/outfield
3. All games in pool play will be seven innings with a time limit of 2 hours. No new inning can start after 2:00. Time limit starts after pre game meeting with umpires. Pool-play and consolation games can end in a tie. There will be no time limit bracket play. In case of inclement weather or darkness, a game will be considered complete if the losing team bats at least 3 times, down by 8 or more runs or has played 1 hour.
4. Mercy rule – 8 runs after five innings, 10 runs after four innings, 15 runs after three innings. This will be in effect for all games.
5. There are no pitching restrictions. Please use good judgment.
6. You may bat 9, use one or two EHs and/or a DH, or bat the roster. If you bat the roster and a player cannot continue for any reason, that spot in the lineup will become an out. If you do not bat the roster, you may replace a starter and re-enter him into the game one time. There is no re-entry for a substitute. If a DH goes into the field, the DH is eliminated for the rest of that game.
7. Courtesy runner for the pitcher and catcher is allowed at any time. It is encouraged, but not mandatory, with 2 outs. The courtesy runner must be a player not currently in the lineup or, if you’re batting the roster, the last batted out.
8. Base runner must slide or attempt to avoid contact. Malicious contact could result in an ejection.
9. 4 baseballs will be provided by Best of Ohio Staff before each game. Each team will be responsible for retrieving foul balls. After those 4 game balls provided are used, both teams are responsible for using their own baseballs to finish the game. Please have your teams retrieve foul balls on your side of the field.
10. No protest at all for any reason. Umpires ruling is final!
11. In the case of a forfeit, a team will receive a 7-0 win.
12. Home team will be decided by a coin flip. Higher seed will be the home team in the championship round.
13. The umpires are in charge of the game. Their decision on any judgment call will be final. Any coach/player/parent who is ejected must sit out the next game. Any coach/player who is ejected twice will be barred from the rest of the tournament. If a coach/parent is ejected, he/she must leave the park and cannot be at the park for the next game. If a player is ejected, he must leave the dugout and cannot be in the dugout for the next game.
14. In case of inclement weather, the tournament director reserves the right to re-format the tournament. If an event is cancelled by Best of Ohio for any reason other than weather prior to the start of the tournament, teams will receive a full refund.
15. Teams that complete the registration process are expected to attend the event. Teams that withdraw 31-plus days before a tournament will receive a full credit minus a $150 administrative fee if event is not full. There are no refunds for withdrawals in the 30 days before a tournament begins. Refunds as follow: 0 games-Full credit minus $150 admin fee 1 Game- 50 percent cred and after the start of the 2nd game- No refund
16. If games are rained out, they may not be able to be made up. If teams don’t play an equal amount of games it goes back to the fewest amount of games a team has played per pool.
17. Head-to-head results will always be the first tiebreaker. If more than two teams are tied (and one team hasn’t defeated each of the other teams), Runs allowed, then runs scored and then coin flip.
18. Higher seed is home team in tourney play.
19. Ohio high school rules will prevail for any question or incident not covered by these rules.
20. All teams are required to have team insurance and have all players covered by their family insurance. By entering this tournament, you are agreeing that all players are covered by insurance and that Best of Ohio is not liable for any injuries sustained in the process of this tournament.
21. All coaches should bring players’ birth certificates with them. Our age cutoff is April 1st. Birth certificates will only be checked by tournament personnel if another team protests a player’s age (the $100 cash protest fee applies here). If a player’s age is protested and a birth certificate cannot be produced, that player will be ineligible for the remainder of the tournament. If a player is proven to be too old, that player will be ineligible for the remainder of the tournament and any wins that player participated in will be forfeited.
22. Tournament Director has the right to alter changes at any point for any reason.